Sunday, June 5, 2011

Ahhhhh, vacations are so much fun!

We have just spent a GLORIOUS week away from work... doing whatever we wanted to do... no worrying about deadlines or guidelines or pleasing my boss... just having a good ol' time.  It was wonderful!  Let's see, what all did we accomplish during our time off?

1.  We got up bright and early and drove to Discount Tire Company so we could get new tires on our new truck.



2.  We stopped in Indianapolis for some chocolates and caramels at Abbott's Also (thanks to the bargain I got from LivingSocial.com... $10 for $20 worth of candy!!  :-)

We also had lunch at one of my favorite places... BD's Mongolian BBQ.  You create your own stir-fry, then watch them cook it on a HUGE flat top grill.  The cooks are quite entertaining.  I've discovered that tofu isn't really all that bad if you cook it til it's crispy... and it's drenched in my own sauce concoction, which consists of shirataki mushroom sauce, chili garlic sauce, pad tai sauce, and a bit of kung pao sauce, plus a few spices to kick it up even more.

3.  We stopped at the outlet mall in Edinburgh and got some bargains during their sidewalk sales.  I jokingly told Dave he should try on a pair of Crocs since he decided he likes casual shoes like that now.  He has always said he'd NEVER put a pair of "those things" on his feet.  Well, he left with three new pairs of them... thanks to their awesome sidewalk sale!  Ha! Ha!

4.  We spent a couple nights in Kentucky in an old mill that had been turned into a hotel... The Doe Run Inn (Brandenburg, KY).



This is a very charming and romantic place to stay!  The building was so neat... complete with thick stone walls, beams on the ceilings... and creaky, slanted floors. However, there are NO tv's in any of the rooms!!  Poor Dave was quite disappointed when he discovered this.  No ESPN.  No Golf Channel.  No NBA.  No SciFi Channel.

One other problem... those darn creaky floors!  I swear the people in the room above us must've been pacing their floor all night long!!  Or, perhaps it was a ghost...

Here is what our room looked like.  It was bright and cheery.  The bed, however, left a lot to be desired - especially since we're used to a soft, cushy mattress and nice, plump pillows.  Otherwise, it was nice.


We were able to peek into other rooms as long as the door was open... and as long as the camera would quit telling me I was out of space because I forgot to clean up the disk before we left home!  Argh!!



The grounds around the hotel are just as pretty... They have a lot of weddings here.





This is the restaurant...



5.  We golfed twice in Kentucky... once at Doe Valley Golf Course (just a short distance from the hotel) and once at Crystal Cave Golf Course (which is likely atop Mammoth Cave).

6.  We had an awesome lunch - something called "Hot Brown"... toast and turkey (or you could have ham) smothered in cheese sauce and covered with bacon... Mmmmmm, good!!!!  The restaurant was in an old victorian house (Elizabethtown, KY). 


On our way in to the restaurant, we discovered a couple of kittens in a storm drain, but even though we don't have an all white one, we resisted bringing them home to add to our collection.  ;-)



7.  We poked around some antique shops in Glendale, KY.  Most of the shops downtown were closed, but it was a very cute little town.  They even have a place called The Whistlestop Cafe... complete with fried green tomatoes!  Too bad they were closed or I would have had some.









8.  We ate pizza in an old jailhouse... The place was aptly named Jailhouse Pizza (Brandenburg, KY).



They even have an extreme eating contest that NO ONE has ever been able to do!



9.  We stopped back at the outlet mall again on our way home.  This time I tried on some Crocs... and walked out with three pair as well!  I also got four pair of jeans and some shirts.  I love outlet malls!!  :-)

10.  We went to Moscow, Indiana, so we could see the progress on the covered bridge that was destroyed by an F3 tornado 3 years ago on my birthday.  Wow... it's done and in use now... and it looks awesome!







11.  No stop in Rush County is complete without having Pizza King pizza!  They have THE BEST Pizza King because they're not stingy with the toppings.  I had my usual "Cowboy Pizza"... double pepperoni, double sausage, double mushroom and double cheese.  OMG!  I'm probably lucky they don't make P.K. like that in northern Indiana or my "healthy eating plan" would be totally shot!

12. We played golf in Fort Wayne.

13. We cleared out the entire garage, scrubbed the floor, de-greased the floor, scrubbed some more, then etched it, the cleaned it some more.  That's probably the cleanest that floor has been since it was poured back in 1985!  Why all the cleaning?  So we could paint it!  It turned out marvelous!


14. We went on a walking tour of Elkhart, Indiana with Dave's mom.  We learned about some of the early industry that helped build the city.  Did you know that Juicy Fruit gum and fluorescent lights were invented there?  No kidding!










15. Went to Kalamazoo, Michigan on my birthday so I could have BD's Mongolian BBQ... again.  Mine was free for my birthday.  :-)  On the way home, we had to stop for some of my all-time favorite ice cream... The Chief in Goshen.  Mmmmm, I love their raspberry ice cream!!

16. While in Michigan, I stopped at World Market.  I couldn't resist buying this (for Dave) to try...



Yes, you're reading that correctly... a chocolate bar WITH BACON in it!  It was... ummmmmm... different.  The bacon was tiny, crunchy, little bits, so it was actually somewhat reminiscent of a Nestle' Crunch Bar.  I won't be spending that much on another one (let's just say it cost way more than a candy bar should!).

Oh, and Dave reluctantly tried it.  He was imagining a piece of bacon dipped in chocolate since the package showed a whole piece of bacon.  He didn't go back for seconds.

I also had to buy some of my Japanese favorites... Pocky Sticks!!  Those are so yummy!


17. We ended the week by torturing ourselves... we loaded (by shovel) over a TON of rocks in the bed of our truck (it took two trips to get this much), then unloaded it into a box we had built around a tree in our backyard.  OY, that was rough!  I could hardly get out of bed this morning!  But, by golly, that box is now full and finished!  :-)

Tomorrow we're going to have to go back to work... just to relax a little bit!  Sigh...

Maybe we'll win the lottery one of these days so we can have more weeks like this!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment