We bought some cat food at a really good price at a discount store a little while back. Our cats LOVED it!!! However, we haven’t
been able to find it anywhere else since. The store is at least an hour away from where we live, so we decided to avoid this weekend’s
predicted nasty weather and went there a couple nights ago right after work to get more for them
(yes, they're spoiled BRATS!). Afterwards, we decided to go on over to Valparaiso for dinner, then on to Merrillville for a little shopping since we weren't too far away.
We
were going to have pizza at Zao Island in Valparaiso (one of our favorite places for pizza), but passed by a place
called “Duffy’s” before coming to the road leading to Zao Island. Someone had told Dave
that Duffy's has really good food, so we turned around and
went back. It didn't really look like much from the road, but the parking lot was PACKED, so we thought it must be
good and decided to give it a chance. We went in… it’s a smoky little dive of a bar. Putting our
reservations aside, we found a table… and waited… and waited… and waited
for someone to come wait on us. It wasn’t really as busy inside as it
looked from the parking lot. Anyway, a guy – we assumed he was the waiter -
went to the table closest to ours twice – looked over at us both times –
and walked away when he was done with them. What the heck? We thought he was
finally coming to wait on us, but no… he was coming to put money in the
jukebox on the wall behind us.
While standing there poking numbers into jukebox, he finally looks over and notices us. He asks, “Have you two been helped yet?”
“Nope,” my husband says.
Poke, poke, poke… numbers in the jukebox. No response.
Finally, he realizes that we answered… “Awwww, man, what can I get ya?” Poke, poke in the jukebox – never looking at us.
“Menus, please.” (maybe it was the “please” that threw him?) Long pause. Poke, poke in the jukebox…
“A Guinness? Anything else?” Poke, poke, poke…
“Uhhhh, no Guinness, I don't drink… just MENUS.” (stressing the word “MENUS” for good measure) Poke, poke, poke…
He
finally looks at me and I slowly, clearly, and loudly (for me) say, “M-E N-U-S…” Now, I
know I don’t talk loud, but mind you… it was NOT that loud in the place…
the jukebox wasn’t playing yet because he was still poking stuff into
it!
“Yah, I got that. Anything else?”
“Nope.” Poke, poke, poke. (good gawd, is he done programming the damn thing yet?!!!)
He starts to walk away, then stops and asks my husband, “Do you want a water too, dude?” (huh?)
“Uhhh, no, just MENUS.” And I muttered so only the two of us could hear, “And you to pay some fricking attention, dude.”
We just KNEW he didn’t get it. My husband says, “I’m gonna to get a Guinness, aren’t I?”
“Yep.” (chuckle)
Sure
enough, from across the room we watch as he grabs a beer glass (giggle from us) and proceeds
to fill it with… Guinness. WTF, dude?!! (outright laughing from us
now)
He
leaves the Guinness at the tap and walks away to do something around the corner. He finally comes back to it, fills it the rest of the way and then S-L-O-W-L-Y makes his
way over to us so as not to spill the precious amber liquid. And, the
topper… he didn’t even bring MENUS (or water)!!!!
We laugh and say, “Uhhhh, we didn’t want a Guinness, we wanted M-E-N-U-S.” (we said it loudly and sloooooowly together)
“Awwww, man, I’m sorry. I’m still half asleep." (Ya think?!!!) I’ll go get those for ya.”
He brings them back and says, “You just holler when yer ready.”
“Okay, sure thing, buddy.”
We looked them over…… and left.
Zao Island pizza was AWESOME, as usual.
No comments:
Post a Comment